Mission, Vision and Goals
The National Hurricane Museum & Science Center is dedicated to understanding hurricanes, investigating their scientific character, and demonstrating their impact on the lives and living systems at risk in their path. Through engaging education, the NHMSC better prepares people to endure and recover from each forthcoming storm, saving lives and property, while also using hurricanes as a forceful motivation to learn math, science and history in irresistible ways.
By 2018, the National Hurricane Museum & Science Center will be known and respected as
- A national asset that saves lives and protects property;
- A national educational center and electronic hub for the understanding of hurricanes as natural, scientific, and cultural phenomenon;
- A successful tourist destination for the entire Gulf region;
- A trusted source for timely and relevant information to better prepare people to survive and recover from hurricanes;
- A creative educational model using the power and fascination of hurricanes to motivate students to learn mathematics, ecology, history, geography, and science;
- A place of respectful remembrance of the sacrifice and courage of people who live at risk, and sometimes die, in the paths of hurricanes;
- A stable and financially sustainable organization with sufficient capital, endowment, earned income, and donated funds to operate effectively and consistently balance annual budgets.
- To study and understand hurricanes and extreme weather events and learn how to better predict, prepare for, survive, and recover from their impact;
- To experience the power and wonder of these storms;
- To memorialize and pay respect to lives and land lost and changed by past storms;
- To understand the human impacts on our shared environment and how human activity affects hurricanes and their consequences;
- To encourage responsible stewardship of the environment, especially wetlands and coastal ecosystems;
- To utilize the motivational power of hurricanes to encourage students to learn basic math and science.